Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Dressage Lesson

I live down the street from a dressage boarding facility. The owner, Heidi Venuti, dabbles in teaching as she has a full time job. I decided a few weeks ago to take a lesson with her because "something just wasn't quite right" and my regular eventing instructor, Meredith Scarlet, was not able to schedule a lesson during my free time.

Our first lesson revealed how VERY locked in the jaw Buck has become. Or was. It wasn't anything I didn't already know, I just couldn't figure out WHAT he was doing and how to fix it. Heidi rode him that day for about 45 minutes, just working his jaw and getting him soft.

So after that lesson, I was able to maintain the softness (thank goodness) and am now able to focus on other things.

Today's lesson was more of the same, but we worked more on my position and what I do that affects his way of going. One of the main things I found last week is that he goes much less "hectic" when I've removed the spurs. Heidi also added today that perhaps I am using TOO MUCH leg and that I should just drape them (and not nag) and either "BAM" him to get him forward OR use whip....but NOT both at the same time. This discussion led to also experimenting with my upper body and what it does to him. When I slouch, he wants to stop. When I sit up, shoulders back and relaxed and let HIM move my hips he strides much more through. Woah. This BIG guy is MUCH more sensitive than anyone could ever imagine such a "lug" being!

In addition, we discussed my NASTY habit of constantly grabbing the inside rein. I don't think I did this as much with Dancer, but with Buck I have always felt kinda like I lack steering. In an effort to maintain the circle, I've taken to pulling on the inside rein. Now we ALL know it's inside leg to outside rein. I've ridden this way, and I've taught this way, so WHY it is so hard to leave alone is beyond me.

So my homework until the next lesson is to leave the inside rein alone. Also use less of a nagging leg....and to continually work on slowing the canter down. It is *almost* there tracking right....but tracking left is much harder for him. I believe this is a strength issue, and I know his right hind is weaker. Hence the problem being in the left canter.

Anyways, we were both very satisfied with his softness and self-carriage in the trot. He was nice and relaxed, and that was a wonderful thing.

It is hard for me to remember that this little Pony is still only 6 years old. (He'll be 7 in August.) He is so very smart and willing to please. I am so lucky :)

No comments:

Post a Comment