Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Another really good breakthrough lesson

Sometimes I think when you start with a new instructor you have a series of breakthrough lessons. This theory of mine is still intact after today's private lesson with Denise. It's ungodly hot and has been the last few days. It's also very humid. I opt to stay indoors and do a flat lesson. I really wanted to jump today but after tacking up and warming up (or rather, getting even hotter!) I rethought that and decided a flat lesson would be good enough.

So today I am riding in the new "wonder bit". It's a french link snaffle mouthpiece with a gag type ring. I rode in it lastnight and didn't consider it a wonder, but today after my ride I am singing it's praises. It allows me to ride a little less hard and get the same reaction. And Buck just understands it better - yay for the Wonder Bit!

We start the lesson by running through the exercises from the last lesson. He is MUCH better today than he was over the last few days. We move through these exercises pretty quickly and move on. Another big thing Buck does besides plowing is throwing his shoulders around A LOT. He uses it as an evasion. I ask him to sit down and collect a little more, but not to hang on the bit, and his reaction is to pop his shoulder left or right, lock his jaw and "tune" me out. These are MEAN evasions, just things he does to keep from doing things that are hard!

One of the exercises we did today was trot -> halt -> rein back -> trot transitions. These transitions help him sit more on his hind end, and it also identifies a hole. The naughty little guy isn't allowing me to half halt on his left side....he's raising his naughty little hoof and flipping me the bird. haha.

So we move on to another exercise that not only gets his hind legs moving but also gets him to accept the half halt. This is an exercise I've used before when first teaching him to leg yield.....and now it's back with a vengence. It's basically a leg yield down the long side, but face the horse towards the wall and and go sideways down the wall (if that makes sense). This is an IMMENSELY difficult exercise for a horse that won't accept a half halt on one side because it basically won't work unless you can use ALL the aids effectively. I *LOVED* this exercise! Well, it sucked to do, but the result? Wait for it....wait for it.......

Wait a little longer because this is AWESOME!!!!!


SELF CARRIAGE!!!!!!!!! HOLY MACKERAL. I could not BELIEVE that Buck could EVER be this round, straight and supple all at once. The huge difference was seen in the right canter where he was straight, and light. Light enough that I felt I had NO CONTACT, but he was still cantering in an excellent cadence.

I was pleased as punch with this lesson. It was an utter breakthrough - probably the biggest breakthrough I have ever had with Buck. I am looking forward to working on these exercises on my own. And maybe some private lessons with Denise will be in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment