Thursday, July 16, 2009

Riding with Denise

I don't know if I mentioned this in one of my previous blogs, but after the disaster that was Groton House, I decided that I wanted someone to event Buck for me at the BN level. Something about my psyche that had me convinced that it would be BETTER for him AND me if someone more experienced took him there first. At the cross country schooling day on July 1st I cornered Meredith and Denise and we all agreed that Denise Goyea would be the one to christen Buck ;) haha

The plan then was to have Denise ride him a couple times a week and then work towards a few USEA events at the end of the season.

Today was Denise's first ride on Buck. HEHEHEHEHE. Let's just say that it was interesting. Buck has been allowed to "plow" along on his forehand for far too long. Partly because I've been trying to work on me and the jumping and partly because I am still way out of shape and didn't realize that I SHOULD be expecting more out of him. So the first 20 minutes or so were a lot of kick and pull. He would get all sorts of nasty with his head, hop a bit, there were a few crow hops and one leap then buck, hehe. But he *did* get it eventually and by golly, there were some FANCY steps there!!!!! He is INDEED a very fancy little pony :)

At some point she began jumping him. She only jumped a bit because it was hot, humid and his breathing still isn't there. She deliberately made him take a few long spots. When I explained to her at the end that I felt he was hanging his shoulder and getting REALLY close the jump, she told me it was because he was using his FRONT end to get his power off the ground. So he gets closer to the base because he's using his front end to determine where to take off from. I don't know much about jumping, but THIS explanation sounds pretty darned good to me. It makes sense.

She was concerned about his fitness. I can DEFINITELY see why she would be. But I also know that he would've been MUCH better about 2 weeks ago and that the breathing issue that is very recent is causing him to seem a lot less fit than he is. I know I'm no expert, but I have been through this "exercise intolerance" issue before and once he's through the inflammatory process he'll bounce back fine. She was also concerned that he jumps and then just wants to stop at the end of the jump. Part of this I think is from the breathing because just a few weeks ago I was not having that problem. But it is true. He's a lazy horse and we're definitely going to have to work on that!

Other than that, she felt like he was a good jumper. That he is going to be a lot of fun! And he's comfortable to ride (which I already knew!). The current plan is for her to take him BN at Apple Knoll Schooling Trials on August 2nd, and then his first USEA event will be King Oak in September! FUN :)

No comments:

Post a Comment